The term ‘back to school’ has taken on a whole new meaning this year! As the world went into lockdown, home schooling was thrust upon most of us and we’ve kept going for over 4 months! We’ve delved into books we remember reading at school and we’ve had to teach our kids how to solve complex maths equations we didn’t even know ourselves! And now the daunting task of keeping the kids entertained during the 6 week school holiday lies ahead. It’s no wonder parents and kids alike are keen to get back into a traditional classroom. Even though the summer feels like it goes on forever, the first day back at school will be here before you know it. To prevent it sneaking up on you, we’ve created a back to school checklist with all those new term essentials your little one’s going to need, plus a week-by-week guide all the way up to the night before school starts to help you get super organised.
From lunch boxes to brand new stationery and pencil cases, we’ll help you take the stress out of the planning so you’re ready to roll when the first day back comes around. Here are the essentials you’ll need:
- Uniform/PE kit
- Name labels
- Lunch box/bag
- Water bottle
- Pencil case
- Pencil sharpener
If you like to be a little more organised then why not try and stick to our week by week school prep?
5 weeks before:
- Sort through clothing, figuring out what fits and what needs to be taken to the charity shop or handed down to younger siblings
- Write down any key dates in your calendar e.g. the time and date your children are heading to school, summer activities, appointments etc.
4 weeks before:
- Buy wardrobe necessities, backpack, uniform, lunchboxes
- Buy classroom essentials, stationery etc.
- Check on any summer homework that needs to be completed
3 weeks before:
- Organise childcare and get any work commitments scheduled
2 weeks before:
- Start getting your kids back into a normal bedtime routine
- Schedule haircuts
1 week before:
- Make a food shopping list – make sure you include all their lunchbox favourites
- Plan meals for their first week of school
The night before:
- Prepare the kids’ lunches (go eco with our bamboo lunch boxes and reusable bottles!)
- Pack their school bag
- Prepare uniform for the morning
And don’t forget to set the alarm clock!