- For wild birds to thrive in your garden, they need your help all year round, so please keep feeding them in the spring and summer and top up their fresh water supplies – especially during freezing winter weather.
- Once you have established a feeding pattern please try to keep to it so that you don’t disappoint your garden visitors.
- Keep feeders clean by removing any old seed before filling with fresh seed and regularly clean all feeders with hot soapy water and an animal safe disinfectant. Periodically move the feeders around the garden to avoid infection. This will help maintain the health of your garden birds.
- To keep it fresh, only offer as much food as can be consumed in a few days.
- Provide different natural food types in various positions around the garden.
- Whole peanuts can be a choking hazard so only feed them crushed or through a mesh feeder.
- Maintain aplentiful supply of clean fresh water for drinking and bathing.
- Be careful to position feeders away from shrubs and sites from where predators, such as cats, can attack the feeding birds.
- Site nesting boxes around the garden to encourage birds to move in more permanently.
Good luck!….. remember to be patient, keep still and keep some binoculars handy!
Download your own handy bird feeding guide to help you choose the right feed: