Wilko paint has the power to transform your old, unused and previously unloved pieces of furniture in relatively little time and without breaking the bank.
Our fantastic range of spray paints are designed to spray new life into your existing furniture and accessories, helping to update your look by creating a perfectly bespoke, heartfelt look and feel for your home.
Grab a few essentials
- Dust sheets
- Spray primer
- Masking tape
- Spray paint
- Dust mask
- Plus the item you’re revamping
Give your home a refresh with paint
Whether you’re transforming an old hand-me-down, a quirky piece you’ve uncovered at an antiques market or something you’ve had lying around for ages, our top tips will help you to pull of a professional-looking paint job every time.
1) Always paint in a well ventilated area. It’s also a good idea to protect the area where you’re painting with a dust sheet or newspaper.
2) Sand down and fill holes where necessary.
3) Never skip the primer- this provides the perfect base for your paint in terms of coverage, colour and finish. Using a primer is especially important if you’re spraying on to bare wood. The primer will also help stop any knots in the wood from showing through the paint. This step is essential for plastic objects as it will give the paint more grip on the smooth surface.
4) Remove all hardware like handles and hinges- they’ll always look better than if you try to paint around them and you could always give those a mini makeover of their own.
5) Try to lift the item you’re painting off the floor so that you can reach the bottom of legs and other tricky bits more easily. For big items, use old paint pots, scrap blocks of wood or food tins. For small, light items try using bits of blu tack or Blox bricks!
6) If your furniture has drawers, use masking tape to section them off so that you can spray the front without making a mess.
7) To avoid unsightly drips and an uneven finish, apply 2 to 3 light, fine coats of spray.
8) Let your furniture dry properly before moving it or touching it. Our spray paint is touch dry after 20 minutes and hardens in 24 hours.
Add the finishing touches with accessories
Don’t stop with furniture, complement and complete your new look with customised accessories.
Start looking around your local car boot sale or charity shop, or just cast your eye around your home for old vases, ornaments, candle sticks or general bits and bobs you might have fallen out of love with. Getting creative is a cost-effective way to make things match and add the personal, finishing touches to any room around the home.
If you need some inspiration to get you started, check out our videos below!
Here we’ve given some charity shop finds a completely new look with wallpaper and paint.
Why not have a go at up-cycling an old vase into a statement piece?
Refresh your garden by giving boring plant pots a new lease of life.
And, you could display them on an up-cycled ladder…
Find all the essentials for your next DIY project at wilko.com