With the royal wedding just around the corner, we thought what better way to celebrate and make the most of the sunshine than by packing a hamper full of goodies and heading out for the day? So whether you’re having a street party, taking provisions to the park, going al fresco in the forest or simply taking your party to the back garden, let us take care of the planning… so all you need to worry about is the weather! It’s time to get out the picnic sets and get prepping the finger food for the wedding weekend so we can all truly celebrate with Harry, Meghan and the royal family.
Before you go anywhere, make sure you’ve got all the picnic essentials to hand. Outdoor dining is always brilliant fun but you’ll be amazed how many times we’ve gone for a picnic and forgotten the cups or a blanket to sit on! Tick these bits off your list and you’re halfway there:
- Coolers and bags – probably one of the most important items on your check list to keep your food cool and fresh. We’ve got a great range of lightweight bags and hard-wearing boxes that are perfect for all types of outdoor adventures.
- Cups – it’s up to you whether you go for good old fashioned flasks more upmarket wine glasses for indulging in your favourite tipple!
- Plates & bowls, and
- Cutlery – for messy eaters!
- Hand sanitiser – for grubby fingers
- Ice packs – to keep all your nibbles chilled for longer
- Saucepots – because a hot dog just isn’t the same without ketchup and mustard!
- Outdoor cushions – to get comfy
- Napkins – to set the scene and wipe up any spills
- Bunting – what royal wedding party would be complete without bunting?
- Party accessories – make it one to remember with party hats, balloons, streamers and party poppers
- Bin bags – for clearing away all the rubbish when you leave. They’re also handy for putting all your dirty plates and cups into so they don’t ruin your picnic tote.
Discover our full summer picnic range for even more inspiration.
Finger food favourites
So now you’ve packed all the essentials, your next job is to decide what food and drink to take. When choosing your food, go for items that are easy to make, easy to carry and can be eaten without too much fuss! With your drinks, it’s best to go for screw cap bottles so you don’t need to remember a bottle opener or corkscrew.
We’ve pulled together a list of our favourite picnic food ideas to give you some inspiration…
Pasta salad – it’s so easy to make and can be prepared the night before. Simply add your favourite meat or vegetables. Our favourite is feta, tomato and cucumber with green pesto!
Sandwiches with a twist – instead of a plain filling sandwiched between two slices of bread, why not try something a little different? Take a medium sized baguette, chop the top off, hollow out the middle and pack well with your favourite fillings. Cream cheese, chicken and veg is a tasty choice. Leave to chill for a couple of hours and then slice into pieces just before you go!
Fruit skewers – take a handful of your favourite fruits and layer onto a skewer. Drizzle some chocolate over and leave to set in the fridge. Strawberries, grapes and tangerine segments are perfect!
Sausage rolls – these scrumptious snacks are easy to pack and go down a treat with the whole family!
For even more recipes and inspiration, visit the brilliant National Picnic Week website.
Picking your spot
Whether you prefer sea views or rolling countryside, the UK has lots of perfect picnic spots. The National Trust have picked out their favourites here. Where’s yours? Wherever you’re celebrating the royal wedding, we’d love to hear! Tweet us at @LoveWilko and let us know.
Keeping the kids entertained
If you’ve got the kids, you’ll definitely need some activities to keep them entertained. Once they’ve eaten their picnic they’re bound to have lots of energy to burn!
Check out our great range of ball games for tennis or rounders? The loser carries the hamper back to the car!
However you choose to celebrate the royal wedding on the 19th May, find everything you need to make it a party to remember at wilko.com