Our weekends are precious, making cleaning the home often a necessary chore that we’d rather get done and out of the way as quickly as possible. While cleaning and tidying might not be the most inspiring tasks on your list of things to do, they are essential for keeping your home happy and healthy. That’s why we’ve created this all-encompassing cleaning blog to share our favourite cleaning hacks and top tips to make sure you can whizz through the chores and get back to doing whatever it is you enjoy most.
1. Don’t have a microfibre duster to hand? Secure a microfibre cloth over a broom with a rubber band or two to dust furniture and difficult-to-reach spaces. This will help you to reach into all of the corners and up and around light fittings.
2. If there are areas with tougher stains, try using a little bit of baking soda. Once you’ve scrubbed this in, rinse with water.
3. Take a microwave safe bowl and fill with equal parts water and white vinegar. Add half a lemon or a splash of lemon juice for a fresh scent. Microwave for 3 minutes. Let it sit for a minute to cool, then clean down the inside of the microwave with kitchen roll or a soft cloth. Take care – the water in the bowl might still be hot.
3. Try putting a chunk of lemon through the drain if you have a garbage disposal drain
4. Use furniture polish to make stainless steel appliances shine. (Always test new cleaning products on a small area first)
5. When you spray cleaning products directly onto a mirror you can damage the backing or frame, so always spray onto a cloth instead.
6. Use a lint remover to get dust or pet hair off lampshades and fabric surfaces.
One of the main ways to power through the cleaning is to get your favourite playlist on and bust a few dance moves while you’re at it – you’ll soon be flying through those chores!
Traditional cleaners are sometimes the best cleaners
You can turn cleaning into a complicated, clutter-making activity if you buy too many products and tools to do it with. Many people are turning away from anti-bacterial cleaners and dangerous caustic cleaning, opting for traditional cleaning methods instead. Keep it simple but effective by investing in the following:
Microfibre mops: Buying one of these along with removable and washable covers is a must, as they’re far more effective than traditional mops. Microfibre cleaners are so effective because of how small the fabric fibres are. This allows them to attach to even the smallest pieces of dust and dirt, something their large-fibre cloth equivalents just can’t do. The mop can be used to clean loads of different areas including floors, ceilings and walls and, in a lot of cases, just using water is enough because the microfibre is so good at collecting germs and dirt.
Microfibre cloths: Just as with the above, this type of cloth provides you with the ultimate cleaning accessory. For best results, dampen the cloth with warm water, then dry the surface using a dry microfibre cloth, which will remove all of the germs, dirt and dust. Wash these after each use.
Vacuum cleaner with attachments: It’s always worth spending a little bit more on your vacuum if you can, because a high-quality one should last a lot longer and will make light work of your tasks. Plus, if you can get one with various different attachments, it can help to speed up the cleaning process of other things like carpets, blinds, upholstery etc.
Squeegee: To get a streak-free finish on your windows, mirrors and shower glass, invest in an unbeatable squeegee!
Gloves: Protect your hands from harsh chemicals and excess water by opting for a pair of rubber gloves.
To make sure you’re armed with all the best cleaning products for the job, head over to our Household department at wilko.com