Kick off 2014 with good bedtime habits to help improve your sleep and overall health.
It’s the New Year, which means many people will make New Year’s resolutions. This year, why not vow to make sleep a priority? According to the National Sleep Foundation*, uninterrupted sleep can aid to improve health, performance and memory, as well as relieve stress and help with weight loss.
With so many benefits that result from sleep, it’s a great resolution for 2014. These simple tips for better sleep can help you get off on the right foot this year.
- Establish a regular bedtime routine. Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day, even on the weekends. Trying to catch up on sleep on the weekends can actually have a reverse effect on the body and make you feel more tired when Monday rolls around.
- Room ambiance – control the amount of light that is in your room. If you read in bed, use a book light rather than bright bedroom lights as these can trick your brain into thinking it’s earlier in the day than it really is.
- Incorporate scent. Scented sleep products like the Febreze Sleep Serenity collection, can help people sleep better by eliminating odors and filling the bedroom with long-lasting, relaxing scents. Its calming scents can help create a soothing bedtime atmosphere, ideal for sleep.
- Get some sun. According to the National Sleep Foundation*, if you get sun exposure in the morning for at least 30 minutes, your body will cue itself to induce sleep at the right time at night.
- Avoid daytime naps. If you do plan to doze in the afternoon, avoid naps greater than one hour, otherwise you may not be able to fall asleep later.
- No electronics. Remove all electronics from the bedroom. The bedroom should be a quiet peaceful environment, not one cluttered with gadgets.
- Exercising – this isn’t an excuse to skip the gym…just skip it later at night. Work out more than three to four hours before bed to allow your body to relax and return to a calm state.
- Late night eating/drinking – Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages after 12pm. Caffeine free herbal tea or warm milk are great options prior to bedtime. And avoid heavy meals and midnight snacks. Your body needs to use its energy to rejuvenate itself rather than spending the night digesting the food you have eaten the day before.
*The National Sleep Foundation is a US based organisation
Win a luxury manor retreat for 2!
And we’ve teamed up with Febreze to offer you and a friend or family member the chance to get a little bit of all-important relaxation, by winning a luxury manor retreat. You can win a one night stay for 2 people at one of 6 luxury 5* UK destinations.
All you have to do is purchase any Febreze Sleep product in a Wilko store by 27th February (make sure you retain your receipt!) and text RETREAT to 81222.
Terms & conditions apply. Entries must be received by midnight on 28/02/2014. One entry per mobile number, entrants must be 18 or over. The prize covers a one night stay in a 5* twin or double room, for 2 people sharing, plus £375 spending money. Travel is not included.