Put your own stamp on the season by having some crafty festive fun. It’s a really easy and fun way to add a personal touch to your decorations, and the kids will love it too! Try out some of our ideas with this handy guide to having a hand-made Christmas.
Make your own mistletoe
Mistletoe adds a lovely rustic edge to your Christmas décor. If you can’t get hold of the real stuff (which only has a short shelf life anyway) then the next best thing is homemade. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
And here’s how you make it
- Take your green felt and lightly draw on an outline of one mistletoe sprig shape (around 10cm in length) making sure it has a long stem.
- Next draw out two more, but make these slightly smaller.
- Cut them out.
- Take your self-adhesive pearls and stick them onto the three mistletoe sprig shapes.
- Once you’re happy with the pearls, bunch the felt sprigs by the stems, with the longest and biggest in the middle. Tie them together with a ribbon design of your choice, creating a loop at the top for hanging.
- Hang either on your Christmas tree or above a door.
Upcycled pine cones
Pine cones fall in autumn and can often be found not too far from conifer trees. As long as you’re on public land, you’ll be able collect the fallen cones and put them to good use. The kids will love foraging for them! Pine cones are so versatile. They can serve as tree decorations, table scatter decorations or table place names. For our upcycled pine cones you will need:
- Foraged pine cones
- Glitter pots
- Spray paint
- Snow spray
- A gold pen
- A dust mask
- PVA glue
- Super glue
And here’s how you turn them into festive decorations:
- Metallic cone: Head to a well-ventilated area and lay some newspaper out on the floor. Put on your dusk mask, take your spray paint and spray over the pine cone. Leave to dry. Make sure you read the instructions on the spray paint.
- Snow cone: Lightly spray your pine cone with the snow spray. Leave to dry.
- Glitter cone: Take another pine cone and dot with PVA glue and then sprinkle on glitter colours of your choice. Leave to dry and shake off the excess.
- Place name cone: Pinecones can serve as great place name holders for your Christmas dinner table. Start by cutting out small rectangular pieces of card – enough for each dinner guest. Make sure the rectangular pieces are small enough not to cover the cones, but big enough to write names on. With the gold pen, write on the names of each of your Christmas dinner guests and set aside. Decorate your pine cones in any design you want and try and make it fit with your overall Christmas theme. We have a fab range of spray paints to choose from including candy pink, bright red, purple and spa blue. Once they’re dry, use the superglue to stick on the name cards. Place on your charger plates, ready for Christmas Day!
If you love the rustic look, simply leave the pine cones as they are and scatter on mantelpieces. Just make sure they’re clean!
Key Christmas tree decorations
Have any old keys going rusty in a drawer? With a lick of paint and a length of shiny ribbon, they’ll make the perfect Christmas tree decoration. If you haven’t got any old keys, we have a pack of three antique-style keys at just £2, that are just right for the job. Here’s what you’ll need:
And here’s how you make them:
Lay your keys on some newspaper and spray one side with the gloss white spray. Make sure you’re in a well-ventilated area. Leave to dry and then spray the other side. Once fully dry, pop a ribbon through the top and tie into a loop. You can choose any paint colour you like from our huge range or simply leave the keys plain.
Make your own Christmas stockings and face masks
The kids will love this one and, with our handy packs, they’re so easy to make. Our Christmas Make Your Own Felt Stocking pack has everything you’ll need to create two cute stockings and includes felt pieces, wool, a plastic needle and felt stickers. Once you and the kids have finished, simply hang them on the mantelpiece or on the kids’ bed posts.
Our try our Christmas foam masks to keep them busy over the Christmas holidays, too. The pack includes everything you need to make a Santa and reindeer mask.
When it comes to making homemade Christmas decorations, the options and opportunities are endless. Whether you like to recycle old materials and items, or buy ready-made craft kits, you can make stylish and treasured items to keep for many Christmases to come. For all your crafty needs, shop our art and craft range.