Once you’ve carved your pumpkin ready for Halloween, what do you do with the insides? Why not use them to make a super-spooky pumpkin soup, perfect for warming up those cold Halloween nights! Maude McEerie’s got the perfect pumpkin soup recipe for you – she’s been making this for centuries!
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 4 medium onions
- 300 ml double cream
- 100 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
How to make
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C
2. Chop the pumpkin and remove the seeds using a spoon.
3. Roughly chop the onions and add to a baking tray with the chopped pumpkin. Cover with olive oil and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
4. Once the pumpkin and onions are cooked through, remove from the oven and transfer to a blender. Blend until you have a smooth puree.
5. Transfer the puree to a large saucepan. Over a low heat, add the stock, stirring constantly. Season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Finally stir in the double cream. Once the soup is hot through, remove from heat and serve.
If you’re serving this soup at your Halloween party, why not use an empty pumpkin as a serving bowl!