25th September to 1st October sees the return of the annual Recycle Week event. This year, Wilko are proud to be an official partner and to celebrate, we’ve dedicated our blog to all things green. The theme this year is ‘Recycling – It’s Worth It’ and aims to show you how the items you recycle take on a new purpose. This can be in the form of everyday products, packaging used in homes, energy to power communities or as compost to nurture the growth of new foods. Armed with facts and ideas, we’re hoping to inspire you into recycling more of your household items. You can start anywhere in the home but our mission starts in the bathroom…
Did you know?
- 84% of us are unaware that empty aerosol cans could come back as part of our mobile phone
- 66% don’t realise plastic bottles can be turned into football shirts
- 65% don’t believe recycling glass jars can save electricity
- 67% don’t believe shampoo bottles could come back in a children’s outdoor playset
- 59% don’t believe a cardboard toothpaste box can be turned into a sweetie box.
- If just one aluminium air freshener aerosol can is recycled by everyone in the UK, enough energy could be saved to vacuum over 876,000 homes for a year
- If everyone in the UK recycled one aluminium deodorant aerosol can, enough energy would be saved to run a TV in over 151,000 homes for a year
Blitz the bathroom
Hopefully these facts have inspired you to get stuck in and blitz the bathroom. There are so many items that can be recycled that you may not even know about. Have you considered…
- Toothpaste boxes – flattened
- Toilet roll tubes – flattened
- Plastic shampoo and conditioner bottles – emptied and rinsed with lids on
- Shower gel containers – emptied and rinsed with lids on
- Liquid soap bottles – emptied and rinsed without the pump dispenser
- Bleach bottles – emptied with lids on
- Bathroom cleaners – rinsed with the trigger spray on
There are even some hidden gems we wouldn’t have thought could be recycled. Glass beauty crème pots, perfume and aftershave bottles are all recyclable too, so get hunting and see what you can dig out.
You could even do some clever recycling of your own without so much as touching the waste bin. We’ve got some great ways you could turn your ordinary bathroom empties into fun and useful items…
- Shampoo bottles to vases – simply spray paint your bottles in a well-ventilated area and allow to dry before adding beautiful fresh or artificial flowers.
- Tissues boxes to shoes – a great one for the kids. Decorate two tissue boxes and your little one can pop their feet into the boxes for a truly unique pair of shoes. We love the idea of dinosaur feet or their favourite duo; how about Peppa and George or Igglepiggle and Makka Pakka?
- Toothbrush to paintbrush – create works of art with a simple toothbrush. Just add paper and paint to keep the kids entertained for hours.
How do I get involved?
With so many benefits to recycling, there’s no better time to do your bit. Start in the bathroom and work your way round the home as you start to realise just how much can be recycled. To find out more about recycling visit the Recycle Now website which also includes lots of information on what can and can’t be recycled around your home as well as a handy recycling locator.