Before you go anywhere, make sure you’ve got all the picnic essentials to hand. Outdoor dining is always brilliant fun but you’ll be amazed how many times we’ve gone for a picnic and forgotten the cups or a blanket to sit on! Tick these bits off your list and you’re halfway there:
- Coolers and bags – probably one of the most important items on your check list to keep your food cool and fresh. We’ve got a great range of lightweight bags and hard-wearing boxes that are perfect for all types of outdoor adventures.
- Cups – it’s up to you whether you go for good old fashioned flasks or more upmarket wine glasses for indulging in your favourite tipple!
- Plates & bowls, and
- Cutlery – for messy eaters!
- Hand sanitiser – for grubby fingers
- Ice packs – to keep all your nibbles chilled for longer
- Blanket – to get comfy
- Napkins – to wipe up any spills
- Bin bags – for clearing away all the rubbish when you leave. They’re also handy for putting all your dirty plates and cups into so they don’t ruin your picnic tote.
Discover our full picnic range for even more inspiration.
Finger food favourites
So now you’ve packed all the essentials, your next job is to decide what food and drink to take. When choosing your food, go for items that are easy to make, easy to carry and can be eaten without too much fuss! With your drinks, it’s best to go for screw cap bottles so you don’t need to remember a bottle opener or corkscrew.
We’ve pulled together a list of our favourite picnic food ideas to give you some inspiration…
Pasta salad – it’s so easy to make and can be prepared the night before. Simply add your favourite meat or vegetables. Our favourite is feta, tomato and cucumber with green pesto!
Sandwiches with a twist – instead of a plain filling sandwiched between two slices of bread, why not try something a little different? Take a medium sized baguette, chop the top off, hollow out the middle and pack well with your favourite fillings. Cream cheese, chicken and veg is a tasty choice. Leave to chill for a couple of hours and then slice into pieces just before you go!
Fruit skewers – take a handful of your favourite fruits and layer onto a skewer. Drizzle some chocolate over and leave to set in the fridge. Strawberries, grapes and tangerine segments are perfect!
Sausage rolls – these scrumptious snacks are easy to pack and go down a treat with the whole family!
Keeping the kids entertained
If you’ve got the kids, you’ll definitely need to plan some outdoor activities. Once they’ve eaten their picnic they’re bound to have lots of energy to burn! Our range of outdoor toys are sure to keep them entertained outdoors while they enjoy lots of fresh air!
Shop our full outdoor living range online at wilko.com and let us help you make the most of the great outdoors this summer.