Kilner’s Onion Port and Thyme Marmalade recipe is a great way to add rich flavour to sauces and gravies, and tastes delicious with cold meats.
Try stirring into onion gravy to give traditional bangers and mash a bit of something extra. Proper winter comfort food!
This recipe makes 800ml and will keep for a whole year (although we don’t think you’ll be able to resist that long), or would make a perfect gift for a food-loving friend!
- 1kg onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 heaped tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 110g dark soft brown sugar
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Port
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions, salt and thyme and soften gently. Stir occasionally and allow to soften for 35-40 minutes.
2. Once the onions are nice and soft (and we mean melting), add all of the remaining ingredients, plus a good grind of black pepper. Bring slowly to the boil.
3.Cook for a further 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Spoon the mixture into warm sterilised Kilner Jars and Seal.