Keep the kids entertained if the weather’s not great this Summer by making these delicious gingerbread treats!
• 350g plain flour
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 125g butter
• 175g soft brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 4 tbsp Golden Syrup
You’ll also need:
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/gas mark 5
2. Put the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl, and rub in the butter.
3. Once you’ve got a “breadcrumb”-like texture, add the sugar and stir in the syrup and egg, mixing until you’ve got a firm dough.
4. Roll the dough out to about 5mm thick, and cut out your gingerbread men (or ladies).
5. Cover an oven tray with baking paper and place your gingerbread men on it. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
6. Leave to cool, and then get decorating! Use writing icing, cake decorations, sweets… whatever takes your fancy!