Rocky Road is a great treat for Halloween parties (or indeed any party!) It’s easy to make, and it’s incredibly tasty. The beauty of Rocky Road is that you can add different ingredients as you like. We’ve used the basics of Rich Tea biscuits and marshmallows, but you can add raisins, glace cherries, nuts, Maltesers, Digestives, Hob Nobs… the possibilities are endless!
Here’s Maude McEerie’s tried and tested recipe:
- 125g soft, unsalted butter
- 300g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 200g Rich Tea biscuits
- 100g mini marshmallows
- 2 tsp icing sugar, to dust
How to make…
1. Heat the butter, chocolate and Golden Syrup in a heavy-based pan over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat, scoop out about 125g of the melted mixture and set aside in a bowl.
2. This bit’s fun! Put the biscuits into a freezer bag (make sure you seal it!) and crush with a rolling pin until some are smashed into crumbs, but you still have pieces of biscuit remaining.
3. Fold the smashed biscuits and the mini marshmallows into the melted chocolate mixture in the pan.
4. Tip your mixture into a 24cm square baking tin and smooth the top with a wet spatula.
5. Pour over the remaining chocolate mixture you set aside earlier and smooth over with a wet spatula.
6. Pop into the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight if you can wait that long!
7. To serve, cut into fingers and dust with icing sugar.