Keeping the car clean is often something we forget to do as often as we should. Give your mucky motor a makeover with our brilliant cleaning tips and keep that showroom sparkle all year round.
Have all the essentials ready before starting the big clean. Here are the most important ones to give you a helping hand with cleaning both the inside and outside of your car:
Get an immaculate interior
Always clean the inside of your car first to avoid dragging the vacuum cleaner through wet ground. Race through the cleaning with these helpful hints:
• Have a bin bag handy to get rid of empty food wrappers and parking tickets wedged in the seats!
• Clean all your glass including wing mirrors, rear view mirrors, windscreens and windows with a specialist glass cleaner and a microfibre cloth to prevent streaks.
• Tackle any stains with a good quality fabric cleaner or leather cleaner depending on your seat’s material. When you’re done, leave the doors open to allow them to dry before starting on the outside.
Perfect your paintwork
Before starting to clean the outside of your car, make sure it’s parked in a shady spot. Sunlight will dry the car quicker, leaving water marks.
• Give your car a good dousing of water to remove any pieces of grit and dirt that could scratch your car when using the sponge.
• Clean from the top and work your way down with a bucket of water mixed with car shampoo.
• Don’t forget to give your tyres some attention too! An alloy wheel cleaner will have them looking as good as new and Simoniz’s tyre shine will also give your tyres a ‘just left the forecourt’ look.
• If you drop your sponge rinse it thoroughly to remove any grit that could end up scratching your paintwork.
• To get your car as clean as a whistle use a chamois leather to dry it off, leaving a gorgeous streak-free shine.
• If your bumpers and trim need some TLC, restore them to their former glory with this shine spray. It’ll protect against fading and weathering too.
• For the ultimate treat, finish by giving your motor a wax polish. Not only will it look brand new again, it’ll also protect your paintwork from harsh weather conditions and road grime.