Of all the household to dos, most of us would agree that doing the laundry is one we dread the most. We’ve all had our fair share of wash day disasters, from shrinking the little one’s PE kit to turning our favourite white shirt into a lovely shade of pink. Make your laundry nightmares a thing of the past with our top tips for keeping your clothes looking great for longer as well as saving a few pennies along the way.
1) Separate lights and darks. Start as you mean to go on by keeping your dirty laundry in two separate piles; whites and darks. If you’ve got the space you could keep two laundry baskets – one for darks and one for lights. It couldn’t be simpler to separate as you go with our neutral laundry bin. It has two compartments so you’ll never mix your colours again!
2) Pre-treat stains. The best way to tackle stains on your clothes is to pre-treat the area before popping in the washing machine. Keep a pre-treatment stain remover close by for quick and easy stain removal.
3) Turn clothes inside out. Wash and dry your dark clothes inside out to stop them from fading as quickly.
4) Don’t overfill the washing machine. As tempting as it might be to try to get through as much of the laundry pile as possible, try not to overstuff the washing machine. Your clothes won’t clean as well, will likely need more detergent and will come out a lot damper. Aim to add a load that takes up around ¾ of the drum.
5) Respect the environment. Next time you put on a load of lightly soiled clothes, set to a 30˚C cycle and save yourself energy and money as well as looking after the environment. Washing your clothes on a lower temperature will also keep your clothes looking better for longer. There are lots of detergents that will do the hard work for you and can be used on low temperature cycles.
6) Keep towels feeling fluffy. If your towels have seen better days, don’t spend money on new ones. Give them a new lease of life by putting them through a normal wash once with a cup of white vinegar and then a second wash with ½ a cup of bicarbonate of soda. They’ll come out feeling softer and looking as good as new! You can also try tossing in a tennis ball or dryer ball to keep things extra fluffy!
7) Give your washing machine some TLC. Keep your washing machine working at its best by giving it a regular clean at least once a month. There’s plenty of choice when it comes to washing machine cleaners, or you can find a more traditional method via our blog here.
8) Keep it fresh! When it comes to drying your clothes, there’s nothing better than fresh air, and with a variety of options to choose from, it’s easy to find the best outdoor airer or washing line for you.
10) Get smart with drying. If you prefer the convenience of a tumble dryer to running in and out between downpours, there are still little things you can do to save yourself time and money. Next time you’re drying clothes, throw in a dry, clean towel. This will help to absorb excess water from your clothes, reducing the time it takes to dry them!
Shop all your laundry essentials online at wilko.com